HI! HAPPY THURSDAY AND HAPPY ALMOST VALENTINE’S DAY! This week is a much better week than last week. Tomorrow my gym is making me take a fit test (YIKES!) so wish me luck with that. I am not one to weigh myself and count calories so them measuring my body fat among other things should be interesting. I’m ready for new challenges this year for change though.
I wanted to write a post on my grocery list so I can have a place where people can reference back to. I’ll be specific with brands in the list.
To clarify I am not a nutritionist… although I am considering taking online classes in nutrition because it genuinely interests me and I don’t trust the FDA (OBVI), food marketing, doctors (look at the food they feed you when your in a hospital…wtf?!). I have read a lot of books, blogs, listened to podcasts from nutrition professionals and found what works for me.
Speaking of finding what works for you…. if you ever find yourself suddenly tired after eating a light meal or if you are having “problems” after consuming something. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. Your food should be giving you energy. Although Mexican food can be tempting… mixing beans, rice, cheese, salt and meat together at 1 pm is a lot on your digestive system (hence the fatigue we always get…. works the same for me with Italian). If I had that on my lunch break I’d be easily tempted not to go back to work. I know I am a little lactose so I try to lay off the cheese. I shouldn’t have to explain to you why. If particular foods cause you bloating, gas, etc, etc… listen to your body.
I mean aren’t we all looking for a little more energy at the end of the day? Here’s how I get mine through my grocery list below:
Also, I don’t buy this all in one shopping trip. It get’s expensive. You’ll keep a lot of this as time goes on… MOST OF THE ITEMS YOU CAN BUY FROM TARGET, WHOLE FOODS AND EVEN WALMART. GOOD PRODUCE IN DALLAS IS HARD TO COME BY SO I FIND MYSELF MORE AT WHOLE FOODS FOR THE PRODUCE. IF YOU ARE STUMPED ON A BRAND I WENT AHEAD AND LINKED MY FAVORITE BRANDS ON THE ITEM NAME.
- SPINACH — (sometimes I do a mix of arugula/spring. Pick one you’ll actually eat with everything!)
- MUSHROOMS — (I like baby bella)
- BROCCOLI SPROUTS — (I typically can only find these at whole foods)
- ONIONS — (I only buy red they are my fav)
BREAD/GRAINS (or bread alternatives)
- YOUR FAV MULTIGRAIN BREAD (I ONLY BUY THIS ONE I LOVE IT. IT’S IN THE FREEZER SECTION AT TARGET AND WHOLE FOODS)
- VAN’S WAFFLES
- SIETE TORTILLAS — ( There are different kinds I like all of them)
- VEGIE BURGERS – for my salads.
- DELI MEAT — (in the scary world we live in with deli meat this one has no nitrates and I trust!)
- CHICKEN SAUSAGE — for pasta… I even use in salads.
- YOGURT/ DAIRY FREE YOGURT — (can do Greek … whatever you want get unsweetened with no flavor and just add things to it yourself!
- PERFECT BARS (there is milk in these and a bit of sugar then I would like. Use with caution and treat as a meal on the go)
- GRAIN FREE TORTILLA CHIPS
- MULTIGRAIN CRACKERS
- DRESSINGS — OPTION 1 — OPTION TWO (I always have two on hand so I don’t get bored… do whatever you want)
- MAPLE SYRUP — buy organic and make sure it’s pure maple syrup on the label and make sure there is no added sugars or anything!
- HONEY — buy organic and make sure it is pure honey with no added sugars or anything!
- CINNAMON — I carry this in my purse now
- CACAO NIBS — top your fruit with this
- PASTA SAUCE
- EVERYTHING BUT THE BAGEL SEASONING
DO YOU GUYS LIKE THIS? DO YOU WANT A POST ON HOW I USE THESE GROCERIES? LET ME KNOW BELOW.
— Jenna —